Friday, July 27, 2012

Italian Riviera: Day 5, Florence

After the Cinque Terre we drove into Lucca where we had booked a room for the next two nights. It was about an hour drive east toward Florence.

We didn't get a great look around the town. It's a walled city and we were staying just outside of the wall, we were anxious to get settled for the night.

The hotel we were in was really neat, an older home/bed and breakfast. Our room was charming, and tiny. There were enough beds to sleep, and that was the most important thing.

We woke early and walked to the train station. Off to Florence we were.
 The train ride took about an hour. It was the perfect amount of time to relax and watch the country side pass by.
Just outside of the train station in Florence. We hadn't eaten any breakfast and the kids were on the verge of starvation so we stopped at the nearest cafe...McDonalds. We grubbed on Pain au Chocolat, from McDonalds, in Italy. Awesome. Of course, Ty was displeased so we located a street stand and bought him a waffle smothered in Nutella. We walked and ate.
 The Duomo. It was glorious.
 A Duomo tenant. (it's a lizard) Ryli and I opted to stand in line to view the inside. The boys opted to find a place to sit. Ty was finishing up his waffle while sitting and a policeman came and told him he wasn't allowed to eat near the cathedral. Interesting.
 Ry lit a candle for Grandfather and Aunt Jeanie.
 I can't believe how big this place felt on the inside.
 The dome was mind blowing.
 Spectators on the balcony.
 After the Duomo we thought we would see how readily available tickets to see Michaelangelo's David were. 
 The kids waited patiently with their various forms of entertainment.
 Turns out, the tickets weren't available and we had wasted about an hour waiting. Good thing we were in the shade. Honestly, it was half-hearted. We weren't too disappointed.
 Onward, to San Lorenzo Market. Leather and silk goods, oh my! While browsing we asked a local about a good place to eat and he walked us to his favorite restaurant.
 We were excited for a break and a special place to eat. This was a tiny little place, too.
 These two had a little fun while we waited...some of the best parts of our trips are sitting down for a meal, or a train ride. I love re-capping with the kids and re-energizing. 
 Fresh Italian Gnocchi!!! Cannon ordered a hamburger, that guy.

After lunch, and a little more shopping we headed over to the Leonardo DiVinci Museum. It was recommended for the kiddos-
 On display were replica's of all of DiVinci's inventions, and they were hands-on. A good thing.
 Until someone get's their finger smashed.
Poor Theo. The manager of the museum felt so bad. He kept trying to console Theo, and if you know Theo, strangers make everything worse. He wanted nothing to do with this guy, it just made him scream louder. He ended up bringing out a toy wooden horse to try to cheer him up.

It worked.

Around 4pm we decided to head back to the train station. It was hot, we were tired, and the kids were done. Back to Lucca.

1 comment:

Jeanie Whitelaw said...

Wonderful photos, as always. Thanks so much for sharing.