Tuesday, May 15, 2012

oslo is oslom: Day 3 (Mother's Day)

Shane stayed up late Saturday night planning an efficient route in honor of Mother's Day. He's sweet.

We woke up and after several reminders about it being "my day", the kids finally agreed to get dressed.

We wanted to check out the Opera House in better weather, so we did that first.

Then Shane rushed us over to the National Gallery so I could see "The Scream" by Edvard Munch. 

It was awesome.
Then Shane led us to the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design. (he knew this place was #1 on my list) It housed the evolution of Scandinavian design...one of my favorite things on earth. While Ryli and I checked it out, the boys were across the streets admiring reptiles. Glad I missed it.

After that, it was lunch time. We found a restaurant that had come recommended in a few books called Dolly Dimples. Yes, another pizzeria. This one wasn't as good as Peppe's, and more pricey. But, that is the Oslo Cathedral behind us.
We were on the vicinity of the toy store from yesterday, so we went back for Legos. We also stumbled upon these musicians, and Ryli did her thing. 

After the dancing we trammed over to a "flea market"...which was awesome. The neighborhood oozed with eclectic character and the people were fantastic.

We decided to call it a day after the flea market. We were beat, and we had an obscenely early flight Monday morning.

We contemplated how to get our kids to bed much earlier than normal, which was especially difficult with the late sunset. Well, it worked for Ty. He was the first one to sleep. Cannon and Ry ended up falling to sleep later than normal. Go figure.

I sent Shane to 7-11 for some kind of breakfast. He came back with a wide array of donuts and cake. Perfect. We were going to need something to lure out children out at 2:40am to catch our bus.

It really was a great Mother's Day. Thanks to my guy, and sweet babies.
So, we wandered through the streets of Oslo in the middle of the night with four children. I've had better moments, but the kids did really well. We had to get to the bus terminal by 4am to catch a 4:30am shuttle to the airport, which was an hour away.

Wow. It was a lot, but everything ran very smooth.

We loved our trip. We love Scandinavia, and we like Ryanair.

The End.

No comments: