Thursday, June 3, 2010

Toltec Mounds and Tyler

I ventured out to the Toltec Mounds with a car full of 2nd graders, a 4 year old, and a 7 month old fetus.

Crazy? Perhaps.

I get this weird feeling about abandoning my other children if I don't stay fully involved when I'm pregnant with the next one. I didn't really leave myself much of a choice. I had to attend Ty's last field trip as a 2nd grader.

With overcast skies, and 2 out of 3 of the activities held in the air conditioning, I was definetly cut a break. I even had fun.

So did Bubba.

We learned a lot about Native Americans, games the children used to play, pottery, and the Mounds of course.
The kids actually got to try out some of the games and make their own pots. I was quite impressed.
We picniced, then made our way around the trail, where the Mounds were finally explained.

They were used for ceremonies, shelter for the tribal leadership, and this one imparticular was for burying remains. Cannon was intrigued...
Ty and Nicolas were pretty much in their own world throughout the entire trail.
We found some hungry turtles, then headed back. I was relieved, I think the kids were too.

No comments: