Monday, July 20, 2009

uncomfortably comfortable

The cinnamon rolls were purchased.
School supplies, organized and delivered.
Meeted and greeted newly assigned teachers.
Uniforms freshly pressed.
Today is the first day of 1st and 2nd grade for our family.
I went for a run this morning after pre-heating the oven for the special "first day of school breakfast."
I pondered the future of my children.
I came home and greeted my family, Shane had just served the goods. There were lots of smiles.
I immediately found my place in the kitchen removing crust from sandwiches and filling water bottles.
The 1st and 2nd grader made their beds, got dressed, neatened hair and strapped on the backpacks.
I demanded pictures out on the front porch, even though I was still in my post-run state, I wanted one with them.
The 2nd grader only complained twice...he didn't want to take pictures, he wanted to swing.
They skipped up to the MDX, loaded in, and they were off.
My heart says goodbye to another year, my head says they are EXACTLY where they need to be. What a strange place to be, I want to cry and smile at the same time. Something tells me this is only the beginning of these inner arguments.
Anyway, good luck to my 1st and 2nd grader on their first day. Good luck to me on the rest of my life. I do still have this little peach to hang out with. Lucky me.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

oh my heck!!! they are so dang cute and so grown up! why in the H*** are you starting school in july? is this normal? i am confused?! which isnt hard but still...why so early?

love you guuys!!

Michelle said...

I can't believe they are in 1st and 2nd grade. They look so cute.

Amy said...

Good luck Ty and Ry!! (wish my kids were back in school)