Wednesday, July 8, 2009

a-typical evening in June

So this evening involved a lot of running in circles, high pitch squeals and feeding hungry missionaries as I recall, I'm pretty sure it was June 11. It was the 2nd to last day of school and Ty and Ry were buzzing around the bungalow with perpetual amounts of energy. Cannon took their lead. (this is what he wears for these kind of events)
We asked the kids to clear the dishes after dinner, they eventually did, and our guests said goodnight. Shane and I remained at the table to summarize our day for one another.
After a few moments of unexpected quiet we peeked around the corner and found this...

We don't advocate child labor. In fact I've never asked one of my children to load the dishwasher, mostly because I don't want my dishes broken. And, fine, I'll admit it...Shane has taught me to be very specific with dish placement. It really is, all his fault.

Anyway, it was one of the sweetest things that I had ever seen. So much in fact that I was inspired with my activity that evening, it would be something for her. This girl rocks my world.

I left around 7:30 for ladies night at Firefly, a pottery studio. I made my Ryli a little treasure box with a mushroom lid. It was exactly what she would've wanted.

Back home...the boys were fighting in their shared room, and practicing their reporting skills...if you know what I mean. Shane finally heard enough and told them that they were not to come out of their room until it was clean and they could be kind. He calmly closed the door and didn't see them again for over an hour. It was quiet, and when he decided to check for breathing he found the room clean, p.j.'s on, teeth brushed, and a couple of proud little boys. They were snuggled up next to each other in Ty's bed, big brother was reading a bedtime story to little brother.
By the time I got home (around 9:30pm) I found this: (Ty's face hasn't changed since infancy)

Shane was also proud, and I was in heaven. Coming home, to a quiet house, after a rough day and hearing this story. Seeing all three of my bed bugs snuggled up tight and peaceful.

I love the moments in my home when my children are successful at "working it out."

I love that my husband can be a better father because my mothering skills aren't as polished as they should be. It's important for me to know that I can rely on him for that. It happens more often than I am proud to share.

But this...this was a good thing. An evening for the books, so to speak. These little evenings replenish my well of hope. They don't happen as often as I would like, but reading and writing about them have ALMOST the same effect. This, is why I do it...REMINDERS.

3 comments:

kaye said...

My heart is so warmed by the pictures and story. It is because you and Shane are such good parents that times like these happen at all! Oh, if only time could be slowed in the very slightest--they grow so fast...I love you guys so much and think about you lots more often than I take time to let you know!!

Michelle said...

What sweet pictures. Ry looks so cute standing there doing dishes. I can't believe how grown up they are. I love the boys picture...they are too cute!

Jen said...

You have such sweet kids Kristin. You and Shane are doing a superb job.