Tuesday, July 7, 2009

inquiring minds

since everyone is holding their breath, here is some relief. we are still in the "process" with the Foreign Service. Shane did get a conditional offer (which is amazing) but it is conditioned upon a security clearance and medical clearances for all of us except Cannon (all family members under 6), then another file review.
here is a breakdown of what we have to look forward to:
security clearance to come through (it could take up to a year or more)
another file review after clearance
assuming they still want Shane once they know all of us inside and out, then:
Shane will be placed on the list based on his overall score, the list is long and we can only stay on the list for 18 months and if he doesn't get a position during that time then he will have to start all over, (which he won't). they will call with a location and we can accept or decline. we can only decline two assignments before we are booted off the list. if we accept, then, THEN, we will go to D.C. for 4 months (i think) of training.
so see, hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait. Shane sent his application just over a year ago and we are a little more than halfway.


Em said...

wow. who knew all that was involved to do foreign service? not me. makes me really even more amazed by my dad's cousin and their family now who have been doing it for 10 or so years, living in germany, africa (i think), and who knows where else? good luck!

Natalie said...

they're coming over today to talk to Ryan:). We'll try not to embarrass with our unruly children;).