Monday, January 14, 2008

Why am I blogging......

We took off Friday afternoon for a relaxing weekend at my aunt and uncle's cabin in Mount Ida, AR. We really needed a quiet weekend, and for it to be secluded was even better. Everything was perfect, great fireplace to snuggle up in front of, good food, good company and the kids were having a blast. We would be heading home Sunday afternoon or evening until we got a call. It was my grandmother telling me that my mom had been admitted to the hospital, she had had a mild stroke. We had a two hour drive to get back to Little Rock and I of course couldn't help but wonder what she would look like helplessly laying in a hospital bed.

We arrived at the hospital, Shane dropped me off and took the kids home. I opened the door to my mom's room and the anxiety was overwhelming. The whole left side of her body was not functioning. Her mouth was drooping, her hand lifeless and her eyes welled with tears. I was lucky enough to meet her doctor (who we really like) and get a quick briefing of what we would be up against. This was all Sunday morning. Since then, we've been through MRI's, ultrasounds, 2 IV's, family visits, flower deliveries, a walker, a cardiologist, a occupational therapist, a physical therapist, a nurse Rachett (as my mom calls her) and little to no sleep. I stayed with her last night and will tonight also. The prognosis: she will be out of the hospital within the next day or so then straight to acute rehab for who knows how long.


I have the best husband in the world who has helped make it possible for me to take care of my mom during one of the biggest reality checks I think either of us have ever had.

Okay, I realize this might be a little all over the place but I'm sleep deprived, missing my family and on my way to another night of hospital fun. For now enjoy some of our cabin pictures and I'll be back soon.




P.S. Why am I blogging at a time like this, therapy I guess.......





2 comments:

Sarah said...

Our hearts and Prayers are with you and your mom. Let us know if there is anything that we can do.

Natalie said...

Oh, Kristin! We are going to keep you in our prayers. And your mama too! We love you guys!