Tuesday, January 8, 2008

On Lockdown!


Let me start by saying that Shane is in Indianapolis for work.
This morning I went in to Ty's room to wake him up for school. He complained that he felt shaky and that his body was to tired to go to school. So I told him that we would get some breakfast and see how he felt. After going back in forth (mostly with myself) about whether or not I should get him to go to school he decided that he wanted to try. His school starts at 8:15, he made his decision at 8:55. He still seemed pretty lethargic to me but I obliged, I had a lot errands to run including getting Ryli to school in Little Rock, which by the way starts at 9am. Anyway after turning around twice I decided to take him in. We pulled up in the parking lot, I was going through one more round of "Are you SURE you feel good enough to go to school?", and suddenly there was a tap on the window. "Mrs. Sharp we're going to have to ask you to take cover." Apparently there was a tornado touchdown in Oak Grove which is just about 5-7 minutes away and they had the entire school on lockdown. We needed to seek shelter immediately. So I parked, scooped up my 3 babies and went to the nearest classroom which Ty's class just so happened to be in. All of the children were in the head down between your knees position including Ry.
Tyler is terrified of tornadoes, he has nightmares about them (thanks to The Wizard of Oz). You can imagine his reaction to the panic in my voice. Honestly I was scared too. So we sat with his class and sang songs and told stories for the next 20 minutes. I could hear the wind pick up, but the tornado never came. However for added fun Tyler threw up in his backpack in the middle of all the excitement. I was able to leave after the first round and rush Ryli to school an hour late. I kept Ty with me because of the throw up thing but he was fine for the rest of the day.
Shane was texting me through the entire thing. Needless to say I was exhausted by about 10:05a.m and needed a nap. I wasn't going to take Ryli to school but she assured me she would be just fine if another tormado came.
Gotta love the Arkansas winters!!!!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I would have been terrified. I think I would have had an anxiety attack on the spot. See...you need to come back to Las Vegas. We don't have any crazy tornados. Glad you guys are safe.

Natalie said...

Vegas or Phoenix. I would take either. They would both be closer and safer and way more fun. I am glad you are safe. Does Ty get a new backpack? I just found a 3 week old banana in Crayton's a few minutes ago. I was bugged and a little disgusted. Now I am not thanks to the visual of vomit in a backpack.

Really, I am so glad that you are all safe and sound! Please move here.

Sarah said...

Yikes! I think that is enough to keep me in the good ole' Rocky Mountains. I am glad you are safe.